Monday, May 10, 2010

No matter what












I haven't always been a big fan of Mother's day. It used to be the one time of year that I'd consider skipping church and all the candy bars, tomato plants, and other typical gifts the "moms" would get. It was the one day of the year that I would really just feel sorry for myself! But not any more, because I am finally a mother! In honor of Mother's day, here are some lessons I learned while waiting to be a mother:
*Things that matter most and are worth having take time and effort. I never dreamed when I got married at 21 that I would have to wait 6 years to have a baby and would be an old lady when I had Gavin. :) I didn't realize that there would be so many prayers, tears, fertility drugs, surgeries, shots, procedures, ultrasounds, and worries. But every time I look at Gavin, there is no question that it was all worth it.
*How can people not know that God is real and is in the details? Watching Gavin grow from a simple cell, to an embryo, to a fetus, to the monster he is now, is completely amazing. Had I not gone through IVF, I would not have been able to appreciate the miracle of life at every step.
* Faith is a real power that we can use to heal, strengthen, and make miracles happen in our own life. I would not understand faith the way I do now if Heavenly Father hadn't allowed me this chance to trust Him and learn the things He knew I could only learn by going through this experience.
* I've learned that Gavin didn't have to be mine. I feel incredibly lucky that the whole IVF procedure worked perfectly the 1st time. I know other people aren't as lucky. It's helped me not take any of my time with Gavin for granted. I have no regrets rocking him to sleep each night, taking pictures of him fanatically, and playing all day with him amidst piles of laundry. Even though, I don't like Gavin growing up so fast, I'm glad our time together has been well spent.































A few weeks ago, my Dad prayed that we will remain faithful no matter what happens with my Mom's cancer or what other trial comes our way. I've thought about that phrase "no matter what" a lot in regards to my mom. No matter what's going on in her life she finds time to serve others and be happy. She doesn't complain and ask "why me?" and trusts in God completely. My mom is amazing and it's scary for me to think of a time when she won't be around. I am so grateful she is my mom. So far, Round 2 of cancer is going well and and it looks like we can keep it away for awhile. Happy Mother's Day to all of you mothers and future mothers!

2 comments:

  1. Amen and Amen, your sweet mother is in our thoughts and prayers everyday:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your Mom are great Moms. Your Mom is and inspiration and example to me and has been my whole life. So glad about the latest news!

    ReplyDelete